The building of the museum
was built in 1914 by Mr Tsogtbadamjav, a Buryat merchant as his property.
During July and August of 1921, the building was used as an office of the
Central Committee of Mongolian People’s Party Government, Headquarters of the
army and Commander D.Sukhbaatar. The Embassy of soviet Tuva was located in the
building after which it was converted into the museum of D.Sukhbaatar. In 1953,
its exhibits were transferred to the museum of the Sukhbaatar and Choibalsan
which was established on the foundation of the palace of Kh. Choibalsan, Mongolian party and
political leader. In 1956, the museum was named as the “Museum of the history
of Ulaanbaatar” with propose of telling the city’s inhabitants and its guests
about the history and development of the capital city. The museum
tells the history since 1639 when G.Zanabazar was elected as the head of Yellow
Sect of Buddhism in Mongolia.