Palace of Aurag, an ancient city ruin beneath the earth surface,
is situated north of Rashaan Dersnii Ukhaa and south from the “Avarga toson”
spa-resort in Delgerkhaan Soum, Khentii province. It is supposed that the name
of the city ruin was originally “Aurag” and later changed into “Avarga”.
Researchers claim the meaning of the word “aurag” is not huge, enormous or
great, but cave or warehouse.
13th century, there was a need of warehouse to keep food and articles of
tribute from the countries under control of the Mongol Empire. Therefore, they
established this city where the most of the royal courts were built in, and
named it “Aurag”. This place is supposed to be the city that served as a
capital of the Mongol empire for over 30 years since 1189. As a result of the
excavation, it became obvious that the city had four distinctive parts covering
4.5 square km area. There was a district of farming on the eastern part of the
city and worship temple placed on the special porch surrounded by double
fortress on the northern part from the central area. The temple foundation was
180 square meter and the number of columns on it was over 40. Polished 6-sided
stone column was found in the front section of the porch. Particular wall
fortresses were placed in row east to west on the western part of the city.
Building remains of 13
fortresses each with 3-4 small buildings were revealed. After excavation, many
finds were found including a potsherd, a plough-share, artifacts of iron, bone
and mud, iron smelting blast furnace, cast iron, and a hone stone.